Monday, May 27, 2013

Sun Butter

I have always wanted to try making my own nut butters, especially peanut butter and Nutella. I find that natural peanut butter often gets too hard in the fridge, and making smaller quantities of homemade would probably be more viable. Also, homemade versions of Nutella are much healthier, as the amount of sugar can be controlled. However, the first nut butter I tried making with my new food processor was actually sunflower seed butter. Because sunflower seeds are not as oily as nuts, it does require the addition of a little bit of oil, but I used heart-healthy olive oil, and I didn't add any salt or sugar. The process is quite easy, and you may make as much or as little as you like. Just toss the seeds in the food processor, and pulse on and off, allowing the seeds to release their natural oils. After a few minutes once the seeds begin to clump together, add in the oil and continue to process until completely smooth. Then store in the fridge for a few weeks or so. This doesn't become hard and the it does not separate as in some nut butters. It is great as a spread on bread or toast, or as a dip for vegetables.

No comments: