Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Enriched Whole Wheat Batter Bread

It has been a little while since I've made bread. I was down to the last two slices from my emergency stash when I made this bread. I decided to ease back into it with something simple - a batter bread. It has a nice, hearty mix of whole grains I love, and doesn't require kneading. This loaf slices very nicely. 

Enriched Whole Wheat Batter Bread
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 teaspoon granulated (white) sugar
1 package instant yeast
1 cup warm milk
1 large egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons molasses
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup natural wheat bran
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the water. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let stand for ten minutes until frothy. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add remaining ingredients except for the flour. Stir in 1 1/2 of flour, then 3/4 cup more flour. Allow the bread to rise for an hour. Stir in the remaining one cup flour. Divide the batter among two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for another hour. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes.
Can you tell I'm running out of ideas for photographing bread?

No comments: