Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Cream Squares

These are the squares I recently made in order to use up the leftovers I had from the Black Forest Gateau I made. Also, I wanted a little taste of Black Forest myself, since I did not get to try the cake myself. I came up with this recipe myself. Actually, it isn't much of a recipe, I simply baked a chocolate base I recently made for another recipe, and topped it with cherries and cream. The base is very fudgey and rich, so I knew I couldn't go wrong! I like the combination of chocolate, cherries, and cream.
Cherry Chocolate Cream Squares
1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon hard margarine or butter, melted
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated (white) sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
pinch salt
the thickening goo from a can of cherry pie filling (with no actual cherries in it)
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream
chocolate flakes, if desired

Preheat oven to 400F. Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with foil and lightly grease foil.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix the butter and cocoa until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for ten minutes.Cool completely.
Once the base has cooled, spread evenly with the cherry pie filling, then the whipped cream. The whipped cream can also be piped on in stars or other designs if you prefer. Top with chocolate flakes as desired.

No comments: