Monday, October 29, 2012

Cake Truffle Eyeballs

Here is another spooky Halloween treat, eyeballs! There are a few different ways to make edible eyeballs. There are gumballs, cookies, cake pops, and meatballs. I made cake truffle eyeballs for two reasons: I had leftover cake and icing from my Haunted House Cake, and I had a recipe for cake truffles on my list of things to make, and they looked delicious! Making cake truffles is about as simple as it sounds. You take some cake and crumble it into a bowl. Then you mix it up with some icing. Roll them into balls, and you're done! You can use any cake and icing combination you want, whatever you think will go well together. You can also use any amounts you want. The ratio of cake to icing does not need to be precise. The original recipe called for a standard cake recipe (two 8 or 9 inch round or one 9x13 inch rectangle) and one recipe of buttercream (about two cups). I just used the small piece of cake and little leftover icing I had. I used white cake and chocolate fudge frosting, and the chocolate definitely dominated, the cake really just acted as filler. That's probably due to the fact my ratio of icing to cake was too high, so much so that I had to pop the bowl in the freezer for half an hour to be able to roll them. This wasn't a problem though, once they are rolled and refrigerated they firm up, and I really like chocolate. I then put a candy coated chocolate in the middle of each truffle for the pupil, and used some white icing to pipe some detail onto the eyeballs. These cake truffles may also be dipped in melted white or dark chocolate, and/or rolled in coconut, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or sprinkles. If you are dipping the truffles, you should freeze them for an hour or two first. To make really realistic eyeballs, the truffles could be dipped in white chocolate, topped with a different kind of candy, then piped with red frosting. Cake truffles are an easy treat to make a big batch of, or can be a good way to use up some leftover cake and icing. Try different combinations: carrot cake and cream cheese icing, chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting, or sponge cake and lemon frosting,

No comments: