Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Banana Loaf

This is the banana loaf (or banana bread) that my mother sometimes makes instead of the usual banana chip cake or banana chocolate chip muffins. Surprisingly  I think this one is my favorite of the three, even though it does not contain any chocolate  Maybe it is because she does not make it as often, so it is something different and it remains special. Banana bread is one of those special baked items that just reminds you of home. I cannot imagine eating store-bought banana bread. Banana bread is a great comfort food, and I cannot think of anyone I know who does not like banana bread. Every family has a slightly different recipe for banana bread that they like the best. I have, of course, tried banana bread made by others, but I always think my mother's is the absolute best. Most times, I just like my banana bread plain, enjoyed with a glass of milk for an afternoon snack. However, many people enjoy banana bread with butter, and it is extra delicious with peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread. It is always welcomed packed in a school lunch, and can be good for breakfast and even sandwiches too! My absolute favorite part of banana loaf is the top. I always save the top for last. It is the moistest, and softest, and tastiest part of all. I actually prefer banana bread that is a few days old to fresh banana bread, because the top becomes even better with age. Though I must admit, banana bread warm from the oven when the crust is still crispy isn't too bad either.

No comments: