Thursday, October 25, 2012

Carrot Fries

The other night to go along with our supper, my mother decided to try something a little different and make carrot fries. It sounds kind of gross, I know, but they were actually delicious. I am used to her making sweet potato fries, which I really love. They are kind of like regular fries, but sweeter of course, and mom doesn't make them as crispy, which I like, although you can make sweet potato fries very crispy too. Carrot fries look just like the sweet potato fries, and have the same texture, but they do taste a little different. To make sweet potato fries, my mother simply adds a little olive oil and sometimes ground black pepper. To make the carrot fries, she used a little olive oil and brown sugar. The brown sugar really made the fries good. Nice and sweet, with a nice flavor. Recipes for carrot fries often recommend using honey, and maple glazed carrots is also a popular recipe, so carrots with brown sugar made perfect sense. If my mom had not told me otherwise, I would have gone along thinking the carrot fries actually were sweet potato fries, since the brown sugar made them so sweet. My father thought is was squash or something. There are actually quite a few recipes out there for vegetable fries of all different kinds - beets, turnip, squash, kale, you name it. There are also vegetable chips on the market, which are actually pretty good, though these often contain a lot of salt. The idea behind vegetable fries is to be a healthier alternative to potato fries, or a more exciting way to eat more vegetables. Most times, vegetable fries are actually baked, and not deep-fried, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Baking vegetables as fries is so easy, just cut them into matchsticks and throw them in the oven with your main course!

No comments: