Monday, October 08, 2012

Be Thankful

This Thanksgiving weekend, I have plenty to be thankful for. Since this is a blog about food, I will likely end up focusing primarily on food in this post, but I must keep in mind that I have many other things to be thankful of as well. I feel lucky enough having enough to eat to keep me sustained, but yet I am fortunate enough to have the access to a wide variety of ingredients I can use to create almost any dish I can imagine! I always come home to a house well stocked with food: cupboards, pantry, fridge, and freezer are always full. There is always plenty of variety of food in the house to choose from. There is an abundance of nutritious foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, milk, eggs, peanut butter, bread, cheese, pasta, and more, as well as a few treats such as cookies, chips, and chocolate. I always have plenty of ingredients on hand to whip up a batch of whatever I desire. We always have flour, oats, sugar, chocolate chips, butter, baking powder, cocoa, and more on hand. I cannot remember a time when I arrived home to find there were no fresh baked goods in our house. Whether there are cookies, muffins, cake, or all three, we always have something baked in this house. I can purchase most of my ingredients at a local grocery store, unless I need something really exotic. Baking supplies can get pretty expensive, especially when you insist on using real vanilla and pure butter. But I am lucky enough to have the tools and ingredients to create many wonderful treats to share with family and friends.

When you go through the same routines every day, it is easy to forget how fortunate you really are. I may be grumbling because we only have semi-sweet chocolate chips and not milk, or because I used the last can of sweetened condensed milk last week to make squares, and I'll forget that many people don't have these things at all. They barely have enough to eat, and survive on just the basics, meanwhile I am complaining because I can't make triple chocolate chip cookies, or seven layer bars. Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate all that you have, and we often celebrate with a large feast.

I must also include that I am greatly thankful for my family, my friends, my shelter, my freedom, my health, all of my belongings, and much much more. I am also thankful that I have the time, internet access, and commitment needed to keep a daily blog. Here's to many more posts!

No comments: