Saturday, October 27, 2012

Haunted House Cake

To get into the Halloween spirit, I made a Haunted House themed cake for a cake walk tomorrow. This cake was really fun to make, and the decorations are not hard to do. I first baked a 9x13 inch rectangular cake and cooled it. Then I cut off a rectangle, about 7 1/2 inches tall. From the small rectangle left over, I cut it in half diagonally to make a triangle for the roof (the other triangle can be used for whatever you like). I placed the cake pieces together (upside down so they were easier to ice) on a piece of card board covered in foil, and iced the top and the sides of the cake in chocolate fudge frosting. I did not bother to put icing between the roof and the top of the house, as it stayed in place anyway, and did not need it. Next came the fun part, the decorations! You can decorate a haunted house pretty much any way you want. You could print off a picture or follow a template, but I was just adding what I pleased as I went along. 
To decorate the cake like I did, I first outlined the door and windows in orange icing (thanks to my dad for making the perfect-colored orange icing, it certainly is not easy to make orange icing). I made an orange rope border all along the house and the roof. Then I added the Halloween decor. I added two pumpkins and two jack-o-lanterns at the bottom, I added some cobwebs around the windows, one with a spider, I added a bat (which did not show up the greatest, considering it is a brown bat on a brown house), I added two ghosts, I wrote Boo!, and I wrote Happy Halloween on the roof. This is a relatively simple haunted house cake. There are many ways in which it could be made much scarier, or creepier, or gruesome  or it could even be made more cute. I didn't want to add too much detail to my cake, as sometimes I tend to overdo the cake and make it worse rather than better. So this time I kept it simple. Other decorations such as candies could be used on the cake as well, but maybe it is better to make a cake like that after Halloween, to use up all of the eyeball gumballs, and gummy worms, and spider candies, and candy ghosts.

No comments: