Monday, October 22, 2012

Quick Lunch Pizza

Here is another homemade pizza I made. I love to make homemade pizza, it is quick, easy, and fun to do, and because it is homemade, it usually tastes better than pizza you can buy at restaurants or frozen. The effort, care, and passion you put in to making it just makes it taste so much better, and also the fact that you worked hard on it makes it taste better than just knowing you ordered it or took it from the freezer to the oven. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good restaurant and frozen pizzas out there, but I find it much more fun to make pizza yourself. It is also cheaper, and you can control exactly what toppings you want on it.
As I probably said before, I tend to use the same pizza recipe every time I make pizza. However, I do have different recipes for panzerottis, pizza stromboli, and pizza rolls, all of which are excellent, trust-worthy recipes. My pizza dough recipe I actually got from cooking class in school years ago. because it is used by young students in an environment that isn't always ideal, it is quite a forgiving and no-fail recipe. I love this crust recipe, it is soft, fluffy, and tasty, and rises very high. It can be used for a thin crust pizza, but I prefer the rising thick crust. I usually use half whole wheat flour in the dough, for a more nutritious and hearty dough. This pizza I made here was a bit of a last minute decision, so I just made do with the topping ingredients I had on hand. Those were tomato sauce, chopped onion, green olives, sliced mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. I didn't have any meat, which was fine with me since I prefer vegetarian pizzas, but it was not your typical veggie filled pizza either. Oh well, I thought it was quite good, and I had the one leftover piece for lunch today. This pizza also keeps and reheats well. 
To make this pizza, I mixed up the dough early and put it in the oven, which had been preheated to 200F for 10 minutes to warm it. I left the dough there for two hours until I was ready to use it. By this time, the dough was nice and high, but a little sticky. This dough actually does not need any rising time, since it uses instant yeast and will rise in the oven, although it does well with some time to rest and rise. I made one round twelve inch pizza in my pizza pan, and made a small crust around the edges.

No comments: