Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Chocolate Smacks

Well, I finally did some baking today! I made Swirl Squares, which was a bit of a last minute decision, but they were pretty quick and easy and I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand. The recipe is from the Company's Coming book "150 Delicious Squares." I use this book quite often, as it contains many great recipes. These squares are very good and chocolatey. Since it was a spurr of the moment kind of thing, I served the squares warm. Any kind of warm square does not seem to stay together well when cut, but no worries, as taste is always more important than presentaion. The squares had a nice, soft chocolate bottom and a chocolate meringue top, with a chocolatey filling created in between. I did two things slightly different than called for in the recipe; I used one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of the one cup of chopped walnuts, and I used an 8x8 inch pan instead of a 9x9. I have included the recipe, as I am sure you will want to try it!

Chocolate Smacks
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp cocoa
1 cup chopped walnuts

Bottom Layer: Measure first 7 ingredients into bowl. Crumble together. Pat into ungreased 9x9 inch (22x22 cm) pan. Set aside.

Top Layer: Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add last amount of brown sugar 1/3 at a time and beat after each addition until stiff. Add cocoa and beat to blend. Fold in nuts. Spread over bottom layer. Bake in 350F oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Cut with shapr knife, dipped in hot water between cuts. Yields 36 squares.

Paré, Jean. "Swirl Squares." Recipe. 150 Delicious Squares, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1981. 143.

No comments: