Sunday, August 28, 2011

40th Anniversary Cake


Here is the cake I made on the weekend for a family gathering in honour of my great aunt and uncle's fortieth wedding anniversary. It is my trusted moist chocolate cake with my signature buttercream icing. I piped a reverse shell border around the bottom of the cake, and a star border on top. I used a letter stencil for the writing, and made buttercream roses for the top of the cake, all in red - the traditional colour for the fortieth anniversary. I also made a special candy modelling clay (similar to modelling chocolate), and put this into some flower molds for the bottom of the cake. Then I used the clay to form more roses to put around the circumference of the cake. Forget fondant, gum paste, and modelling chocolate; this candy clay is by far the easiest to make, work with, mold, and shape, and it also tastes pretty good too.
I really enjoyed making this cake, and it was definitely worth it when I received comments like, "This is amazing." "You've outdone yourself." and my personal favourite, "Who are you, the next cake boss?"

No comments: