Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Oatmeal Batter Bread

I made some bread today. It wasn't the traditional kind that needs to be kneaded (haha) then rises twice. This was a batter bread, which means it has a slighly softer and stickier consistency that is not neccesary to knead, saving you time and sticky fingers. However, it does still need two rising times; an hour in the bowl, and then half an hour after it is spooned into the loaf pans. I like to make homemade bread instead of relying on store bought as much as possible, and I always try a new recipe. I haven't found the perfect one yet, although most of the ones I have tried so far have turned out very well.
Here is a picture of the Oatmeal Batter Bread sliced.

This recipe is from Company's Coming "Breads". It starts with actually cooking up some oatmeal, then adding molasses, butter, egg, and the yeast mixture. Although the recipe called for all-purpose flour, I used whole wheat because I like whole wheat bread better. The addition of oats gave the bread a nice, different texture. This is a very hearty and delicious loaf. It will be perfect for breakfast tomorrow!

Paré, Jean. "Oatmeal Batter Bread." Recipe. Breads, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1996. 12.

No comments: