Sunday, August 21, 2011

Potatoes

I'm on a potato kick today, and I don't know why. Maybe I am going through withdrawl; after all, I haven't had potatoes for a few days now. 

I love potatoes, I particularly love sweet potatoes, but they are difficult to get year-round. Potatoes are so versatile, there are just countless ways to prepare them and dress them up! 

Here are some ideas.


Preparations
  • Baked, Boiled, Broiled, Fried, Deep-fried, Mashed, Whipped
  • Grilled, Microwaved, Roasted, Poached, Stir-fried

Dishes
  • Soups, Stews, Casseroles, Salads, Stir-frys, Breads/Rolls
  • Pasta, Side dishes, Alone

Common Go-Withs
  • Cheese, Sour Cream, Ketchup, Chives, Dill, Garlic, Onion
  • Butter, Oil, Salt, Pepper, Carrots, Steak, Fish

Popular Potato Dishes
  • Fish and Chips, Shepherd's Pie, Gnocchi, Chips
  • French Fries, Potato Skins, Hashbrowns, Potato Bread
  • Potato Salad, Baked Potatoes

There are so many different varieties of potatoes: new, sweet, red, white, fingerling, baby, russet, Yukon, gold, Idaho, even blue potatoes! Well, that's enough about potatoes for today!

“Potatoes.”
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/cookingtips/Ingredients101/Vegetables/Potatoes.aspx. Kraft Canada, n.d. Sunday, August 21, 2011.
PHOTO CREDIT:Potatoes. Hillsdale Potato Inc. Adams Seed Farms, New Denmark, New Brunswickhttp://www.hilldalepotato.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/potatoes.jpg. Sunday, August 21, 2011.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bexy, my favorite go-with for potatoes would no doubt be a little bit of ranch dressing. Adds a nice flavor, often in replacement of sour cream. If you are a fan of ranch, try it sometime!

Bexy said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Anonymous. I will certainly have to try that! I know ranch is great with carrot sticks!!!