Thursday, March 17, 2016

Rôtisseur

beef plate
Lately I have been cooking a lot of meat. Not exactly by choice, I've just been put on the rotisseur station and that has been my main responsibility. This means it is my job in the restaurant to cook all the proteins for the main courses. Where I currently am, this entails  six different proteins; 
duck plate
stuffed chicken breast supreme, duck breast, crusted rack of lamb, halibut fillet, salmon fillet, and eight ounce beef tenderloin.
The chicken is seared then roasted, the duck is slow roasted, the lamb is seared ten baked, the halibut is steamed, the salmon is grilled, and the beef is butter-basted. 
The duck, lamb, and beef could be asked for anything from rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well done.
Sometimes the halibut or salmon are asked to be lightly cooked or well done.


I find it stressful enough cooking meats, as I don't often cook them and it is the main focus of the meal. There is no time on a busy night to probe meats, or compare a steak to a certain place on your palm to check the doneness. But somehow I learned along the way, and the other night I successfully cooked 54 covers, including a ten-top. Just check out those crosshatch grill marks. 

No comments: