Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Trio of Fennel Pollen Dusted Salmon

Poached Salmon Fillet with Fennel Pollen Butter, Fennel Pollen and Salmon Mousse, Crispy Fennel-Scented Salmon Croquette, Caramelized Onion Compote.
Here is the hot appetizer I made for my black box exam. I used salmon and fennel pollen in all three main components of this trio. I had never really heard of, let alone worked with or tasted, fennel pollen before. Upon research, I could not nail down a major flavor profile for it, but I knew it is one of those expensive ingredients that should be used sparingly.
First Salmon Component: I butter-poached the salmon in butter flavored with fennel pollen.
Second Salmon Component: A salmon mousse flavored with salmon pollen, lemon, and dill.
Third Salmon Component: A fried salmon cornmeal croquette sprinkled with fennel pollen salt.
Accompaniments: caramelized onion compote, and pickled celery allumette. 

No comments: