Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Typical Day, Special Evening

Today I was told I could come in to work for breakfast at 9:00a.m. instead of 8:00a.m. since I had worked late last night, but me being me I went in for 8:00a.m. anyway. I didn't want to stay late today. Breakfast shift was fine today, as I am beginning to become accustomed to how breakfast at the lodge works with this breakfast cook, and already know what tasks I need to complete. Right away I asked if I was to do the usual - traying pastry items and bacon. He said yes. I also had to take fish out of the freezer to defrost, as that would be my job in the bar later, and tend to the orders. There were a lot of orders coming in this morning, not huge ones but still orders did take up a lot of my time and I was glad I had decided to go in early. I made crepes again, then helped actually complete and plate the breakfast orders. See we had a pretty full house, but breakfast was slow because people would all come at once. So it would be quiet, then we have several tables come in and order at once. I am much more familiar with the breakfast menu now.

After breakfast and clean-up, I did the welcome baskets and mash in the bar. Then I had one of the most not fun and tedious (but necessary) tasks in the bar - battering. I had to first flour, batter, and fry a bunch on onion rings, then about fifty fillets of codfish. Battering needs to be done carefully and with care, and for that reason it takes awhile. Luckily the onions were already cut and the batter already made for me. Battered items need to be flash-fried, then spread on paper-lined trays in a single layer, blast-chilled, and packed away. We have four fryers, and generally in the afternoon during prep we try to use two for service and two for battering, but one of the service ones wasn't working, so half the time I only had one to work with. After battering and a good clean-up, I tended to more orders, cleaned out the walk-in fridge (yet again), and helped prepare staff meal. I left by 5:00p.m.
Belgian chocolate cake, red wine, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate
To mark his last night here, my boyfriend and I prepared a special dinner of brie cheese, cranberry bread, chocolate cake, chocoholic ice cream, chocolates, and wine to enjoy together. Nothing fancy, but simple and so delicious.

No comments: