Saturday, August 29, 2015

Internship Portfolio

Today I tried to be very productive on my day off by working on my internship portfolio. For my program at school, completing a 600 hour internship simply isn’t enough – we need a portfolio to go along with it to document our journey. I have been keeping up with this by writing these journal entries every day. However, there are other components as well – some I could have done earlier, some I can work on now, and some that will need to be completed at the end of my internship. Here are the required components:
Component One – Getting To Know The Site
o Choice of site
o Professional/personal internship goals
o Media articles/guest comments
Component Two – Researching The Operations of the Site
o Kitchen floor plan and efficiency evaluation
o List of brigade and job descriptions
o My job description
o Biography of the chef
Component Three – Looking At The Menu
o Menus
o My opinion of the menus
o Plate presentations
Component Four – Professional/Personal Journal
o Weekly journals
o Journal summary
Component Five – Logging Hours
o Authorized hours
o Chef’s commentary
It seems quite extensive and time-consuming, but once it is done it will be a very nice keepsake to have. It’s just a lot of work on top of the grueling hours in the kitchen, which is why I am trying to chip away at it during my time off. It’s partly my fault for choosing this particular site (no regrets though), but I made it difficult for myself. For example, since I work in several different kitchens (castle, bar, restaurant, marquee, prep), I need to draw not only one kitchen floor plan, but five. Also the brigade list will be tough to do since not everyone has a set job title, they shuffle around a lot as I do. This also means several different menus, some of which are long or change often, and lots and lots and lots of photos. Now, I take a lot of photos, especially food photos, and I don’t even have photos of half the dishes! Even on days off I don’t really get a break…!
Oh, come on, let's be serious here! I need this photo for my internship portfolio.
No more photobombs please!!!

No comments: