Thursday, August 06, 2015

Called In For Starters

Today I was supposed to work at the castle doing prep work for upcoming weddings, but last night I was asked to come into the bar to work instead. Turns out this was because the restaurant upstairs would be very busy, expecting eighty people tonight, so they needed more cooks upstairs and needed me to cover the starter section in the bar again. I wasn’t really happy about this because I was looking forward to having a shorter day and being back at the castle, but these things happen.

I got there early, and set up the starter section. Having been off the past two days, I was unsure what kind of shape the section was in, what needed to be done, and where everything was stored. I hate this, and the chef who was on this section tends to do things differently than the others, and I feel like I spent more time searching around than doing actual prep work. I checked the prep list and did small jobs between orders, as well as restocking items, and labelling and cleaning. There is a new cook who started this week, who is eventually going to be the new starter cook (since the cooks working there now, myself included, are only temporary). So he worked with me all day, and I got to give him jobs from my prep list, showing him how to do them since he is new, and I even showed him a few dishes to make when it got really busy and I needed a hand on the starter section. 

Overall the day wasn’t too bad, with a few blips but also a few joking times. It got busy a few times, and there was one period in the evening when I needed a hand, but other than that I handled it well today. The issue was, the people around to help me were not trained on this section, so although they did help pump orders out faster, I did have to explain things to them. I had to stay late to help the cooks from the restaurant vacpac a few things, so I didn’t leave until 10:30p.m. I complemented the main course cook on his dish of the day yesterday, and he replied saying he hadn't realized I was in to eat, and chef hadn't either, and they said they would have taken care of me, and given me some extras.
Staff dinner - chicken 'pies' with puff pastry, chicken in cream sauce, and chips.

No comments: