Monday, August 24, 2015

Gaining Responsibility

Today I was working in the bar, instead of the restaurant, since it was anticipated to be busy. I wasn’t very happy about that, but it turned out to be a good day (the cranky cook was off today, and I was working with the nicer cook all day today). It was one of those days where I had a mental list of things to do, and no time in between to be idle – just move on through all my tasks, and somethings have to get sidetracked to another task. I’ll give some examples.

I began by setting up the pastry section, then realized I needed to make apple crumble mix, so I quickly made that and put it into the oven. Then I put together the welcome baskets. I then did the mash, and moved on to work on the prep list from the mains course, only to discover no basil for my pesto until the order came in. Then a new cook showed up for work – his first day, and for some reason they got me to train him. So I set him up and showed him how to batter fish. Then I had to take care of a meat order. Then the veg order came in, so I had to take care of that too, and then I had basil to finally finish my pesto. But first we realized there was no veg of the day left, so I had to blanch them off as quickly as possible. Then I had to set up the new cook on how to make onion rings. Then I sliced some goat cheese. Then I had to show the new cook how to make crisps. Then I chopped a bunch of shallots. Then I had to take care of another order. Then I washed and cut some lettuce. Then I helped make staff meal. Then I put away the battered fish. All the while I would have to stop to fill pastry orders. Help with starter orders, and clean,clean, clean since the head chef is a stickler for that!

Exhausting-sounding day, but that isn’t even the half of it! I am not sure why they were getting me to show the new guy around, I mean, I’m only the intern but today I felt like I was second in charge in the kitchen. I don’t really like training people because I don’t think I tend to be great at explaining things, and since I am still fairly new I don’t know everything either, and I want them to be taught right the first time (unlike me). He was making onion rings when the starter cook told me to stop and show him how to make crisps since he needed crisps right away. I saw no real difference in the job, so I showed him. The starter cook came over and said he was doing it wrong. Then told me to show him the right way because he was busy. Well, I’ve never actually made crisps myself, so I wasn’t sure either. The starter cook was in quite the mood today – the head chef told him several times (and not only today) to clean his station as he goes. Even when it’s busy, you need to take thirty seconds to wipe down the table before continuing – you can’t work on a dirty station! 

Around 5:00p.m., the head chef told me I would be working in the restaurant tonight. I was surprised, as I knew the bar was expected to be busy, but the restaurant was too. 
Tonight's appetizer
I headed upstairs – were we were expecting seventy-one diners, and everyone was rushing around since we were short-staffed. I helped the pastry cook finish several jobs, then set up the station. Until pastry orders came in, I had to keep busier than last night. I plated appetizers, plated up the sides of veg and potatoes, read the starter orders and prepared components for them, cleaned, and just generally kept busy. I responded better to orders, as I am finally starting to better understand the mumbles of the chef. Before I knew it, pastry orders were flying in. I got hit pretty hard with pastry orders at the end of service after everyone had left (after being idle for a while). Then I was just waiting on one table for the longest time, as the two women had left and no one knew where, and the men didn’t know what they wanted. I couldn’t pack up and clean until their order came. Finally it did, and I finished up and cleaned up. Today was a whole lot better than yesterday - today I felt on top of my game and very productive – I accomplished a lot in the bar and did well at service in the restaurant. I think today was my longest day yet at 12.5 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day! Your stamina is just amazing, I hope you get to rest tomorrow. Cheers, Regina

Bexy said...

No, my day today was just as long - I don't get a day off until Friday. Fun though - I love working on the pastry section! :)