Monday, August 31, 2015

A Muddy Walk

I really didn’t feel I needed another day off after having just had two off and only working one day, but you take days off when you can get them and I will be working Wednesday through Sunday and probably more. I took a long walk exploring a different part of the forest on the estate – the part where horseback riding is common and the part closer to the road and the part I knew much better.

This part of the forest was really interesting – I found a hidden bridge and a shooting range and a cool clearing. I felt like I was a million miles from anywhere, totally peaceful and tranquil, yet I could just hear the faint hum of a lawnmower in the distance. I either stayed close to the road, which was just past the rock wall surrounding the estate, or the river, that way I knew where I was going. I could see many hoofprints and footprints where I was walking, and lots of nettles too but I was careful to avoid those. It rained a bit, but the good thing about walking in the forest with some rain is that the trees mostly provide cover. The bad thing about walking in the forest with some rain is that it can get pretty muddy. My biggest fear during my walk was not getting lost or meeting some wild animal, but rather getting my shoes stuck in the mud and having to walk home in my sock feet. Seriously, it happened to a few friends of mine before. But I was about as happy as a pig in mud. As I was coming out of the forest path and back into the wetlands, I met a couple out for a walk. The woman was wearing a short dress and flimsy flats and the man was wearing a dress shirt and dress shoes, a common site on the castle grounds. They were headed my way, so I kindly warned them that it was quite muddy up that path, and they seemed appreciative of the warning. A beautiful stroll – but you have to be dressed appropriately for it!
As a chef you can't be afraid to get dirty - inside the kitchen or out! 

No comments: