Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Tough Good-Bye

This morning, my boyfriend and I woke up at 8:00, which gave us a few hours to explore a bit more of the city before taking the bus to the airport – where he would need to catch his flight back home and I would take a bus back to the county. The first thing we did was bypass the free hostel breakfast, and head across the bridge again to the cafés we had spotted on our way to the hostel, but were closed when we returned in the evening. Immediately we located a chocolate café and bar (why are chocolate cafés and chocolate bars not common sights back home???) that was already open. He found a giant berry Danish and some juice (he is a chocolate fan as well, but also loves berries, whereas I have more of a one-track mind) as I was studying the hot chocolate and milkshake selection – which were supposed to be award-winning. I also found a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in the case that looked divine, so that along with a dark rum hot chocolate was my breakfast. Almost as good (or perhaps better) as breakfast in the castle yesterday. I also bought a box of cupcake-inspired chocolates to takehome. I think one day I may want to open a chocolate café, or at least live near one so I can be a regular customer.
breakfast - chocolate hazelnut cheesecake and rum dark hot chocolate
The other cakes shops and bake shops we (or at least I) had wanted to visit there didn’t open until 10:00a.m. Most things around were either open at 9:00 or 10:00a.m., but we had to leave the city by 11:00a.m. at the latest. We headed back over the bridge and explored that section of the city again, and I must have drove my boyfriend crazy insisting on stopping at every bakery/café/coffee shop I saw to at least have a look (and take pictures). He was still half asleep and kind of just went along with my plan. We did stop at some souvenir shops too, and visited the castle in the city, then headed to one more café to share a cherry cheesecake before collecting our belongings and heading to the airport.

We had forgotten check-out at the hostel was at 10:00a.m., and our keys no longer worked in our doors, but luckily they let us quickly go grab our bags (which were already packed) without charging us the late fee. We made it onto a double decker bus, giving us one last nice tour of the city. Airports are confusing to me. And we got off at the wrong terminal, but found the right gate, only to discover the flight was delayed to 15:15 instead of 14:35. So I decided to take the 13:20 bus back instead of the 12:50, giving us a little more time to grab a quick lunch, and my boyfriend was actually the one saying good-bye to me at the bus stop before he headed back to security. I hate good-byes. I’m no good with them at all. That’s why I am working on this now on the bus ride, to keep busy. It will be hard going back to life in my staff accommodations, after having roomed at a bed and breakfast with my boyfriend for over a month. But I only have about one month left until I return home, and I will get through it.

No comments: