Friday, May 23, 2014

Basic Vanilla Cake

For my confirmation cake from yesterday's post, a white cake was requested, which was a little different for me because my standard go-to is my no-fail chocolate cake recipe. I do not have a perfected trusty white cake recipe, though I have tried many and several have succeeded. This time I used a base of a white cinnamon cake and transformed it into a vanilla "half pound" cake. I call it half pound because it is a bit lighter than pound cake, but not as light as regular cake. Despite the name and texture, it does not contain large quantities of butter, sugar, and eggs, but yet the ends I tasted were sweet, flavorful, and fairly moist. Not incredibly moist, but that's better for frosting anyway. It is an incredibly quick and easy one bowl cake recipe though! 

Basic Vanilla Cake
3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
3/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (skim) milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons (pure) vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, not margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line a 9x13 inch rectangular baking pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, eggs, and vanilla, mix well. Slowly pour the butter over, then stir to combine. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the batter comes out clean.

No comments: