Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Soft Food Diet

Sometimes, certain texture-oriented diets are needed for health or other reasons. In my case, I will soon be having dental surgery, after which I doubt I will be able to eat many hard foods. I won't have to be on a complete liquid diet, but more a diet of purées and soft foods. Obviously, this is not ideal for a long period of time, a budding chef, or someone who enjoys crunchy and chewy foods. But I don't mind too much, because I don't think I will be on this diet for too long, and there are a variety of delicious foods that are soft, and some purées can be made delicious. I've already composed a list of foods I will be able to eat so I will have some ideas to build some balanced meals and buy some groceries. Obviously, almost anything can be puréed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be. Here are just a few ideas in case any of you find yourselves in a similar situation.

Fruits: mashed banana, applesauce, avocado, puréed frozen berries.
Vegetables: mashed potato, sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, mashed carrots, leafy green purées.
Dairy: milk, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, soft cheese (cream cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese).
Protein: soft tofu, scrambled eggs, nut butters, hummus, bean purées, soft fish.
Grains: hot cereal, oatmeal, soft polenta, soft bread, French toast, crackers or cereal in milk, creamy rice, risotto, grits, dumplings, bread pudding, pancakes.
Meals: soup, smoothies, chili, soft pasta, fondue.
Desserts: chocolate, frosting, truffles, panna cotta, jelly, custard, dips, cookie dough.

This will be my diet in a few days, but before then, I'll be sharing something really cool tomorrow! 

No comments: