Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Striped Nutella Cheesecake Squares

Well, the countdown is over and the day is finally here! It is World Nutella Day 2013 - the seventh annual World Nutella Day! If you read my past two posts, then you already know this is a day celebrated by bakers around the world, who create delicious Nutella creations! Of course since I love Nutella, I had to take part. Actually, I realized how much I missed Nutella with all this Nutella baking, as I hadn't had it in a while. It is GOOD! Deciding which Nutella recipes to try was by far the most difficult part. There are just too many options. So what did I do? I looked at a few of my favorites (which doesn't narrow it done too much) and took my own spins on some, and made up some other Nutella creations based on others. Just so that I can add to all the Nutella options out there. I know, I'm mean, aren't I? Of course, I will be featuring more Nutella recipes this week, it is more like I am celebrating World Nutella Week here, as I can't stop at just one creation. But here is my Nutella creation for the day. Happy World Nutella Day to everyone! 

Layered Nutella Cheesecake Squares
CHOCOLATE CRUST
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated (white) sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter or hard margarine OR
1/4 cup each butter and Nutella
CHEESECAKE
2 packages (250 grams / 8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated (white sugar)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon whipping cream
1/3 cup Nutella

CRUST: Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and cocoa. Cut the butter into small cubes and cut it in. If using Nutella, stir it in now. Then get your hands in there and crumble the mixture together. It may seem dry t first, which is why it really needs to be mixed. Press firmly into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes. Cool before adding cheesecake layer.

CHEESECAKE: Preheat oven to 325F. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add the sugar, beating until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each until just incorporated. Beat in the vanilla, then 1/4 cup of the cream.
Pour 2/3 of the mixture (or closer to 1/2, if you wish) over baked crust, spread evenly. To remaining mixture, beat in the Nutella and 1 Tablespoon cream. Carefully spoon over batter in pan and spread evenly, being careful not to disturb the bottom layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes  until edges are set but center is still a little jiggly. It will set upon cooling. Cool completely on a wire rack, then chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours before serving.
To go further: add a Nutella chocolate glaze, serve with Nutella chocolate sauce, add a dollop of Nutella whipped cream, or simply serve with a spoonful of Nutella on top. No really. This cheesecake can be dressed up any way you like, like most cheesecakes; fruit, chocolate  whipped cream, or more Nutella! Mmmmm, Nutella, Nutella Nutella, Nutella :)
For more information on World Nutella Day, please visit: http://nutelladay.com/, as well as the blogs for Sara and Michelle, who declared this day as World Nutella Day, at
http://msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/ and http://bleedingespresso.com/

No comments: