Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Cake

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there! I hope you are having a great day! Here is the cake I made for my mom. Luckily, we are actually having some nice weather for Mother's Day, which unfortunately means it is not great conditions for decorating with buttercream icing. Oh well, I think most of my piping still turned out ok. This cake idea came from my Cake Boss book "Baking With The Cake Boss" which shows step-by-step instructions of how to replicate some of his amazing signature cakes. I chose the design for a girl's birthday cake, but instead of writing Happy Birthday, I wrote Happy Mother's Day of course. I started with my white cake layers from yesterday, and sandwiched them together with my usual chocolate fudge filling. Then I iced them with my signature vanilla buttercream. I put a simple double-shell border around the bottom, and a reverse shell border on the top, both with white buttercream. I added some pink dots to the top border. Then I piped a ruffle swag around the side of the cake, with small white stars at the tops. I piped a small pink squiggle border around the inside top of the cake, and wrote Happy Mother's Day! I added some buttercream roses (I still need practice on those), and completed them with some green leaves (although they aren't really leaves, since I don't have a proper leaf tip). It certainly doesn't look quite as polished and professional as the Cake Boss version, but my mother said it was beautiful!

No comments: