Friday, May 11, 2012

Flower Cake

Today I decorated yet another cake. I made it for a cake walk. It is a simple white cake baked in two 8-inch round layers. Unfortunately, both cakes cracked during the process of removing them from the pan. I'm not sure what happened, as the pans were greased and floured, and the cakes were allowed to cool for ten minutes before they were removed from the pans (as suggested in the recipe). Oh well, it won't affect the taste. At first I only realized one of the cakes was cracked, in fact that piece had several thin pieces fall off of the bottom. So I thought it would be fine if I just placed that cake bottom-side down on the plate. When I went to put the other cake on top, I noticed a large crack through the middle of that cake. I patched it up with the icing as best as I could and carefully placed it on top. 

To decorate the cake, I made the usual vanilla buttercream, although this time I made the ratio of butter to icing sugar slightly lower (and unfortunately, I emptied the bag of icing sugar in the process). I iced the cake, then tinted some buttercream blue and some pink. I did a ruffled swag drop-line around the cake in blue, and added some small pink stars to it. Then I made my simple star swirl flowers in pink, filled the centers in with blue, and added some blue swirls all around. Pretty simple, but quite nice-looking and a fitting cake for springtime. In fact, I managed to decorate this entire cake completely using only one hand. It may have taken a little longer than usual, but it was completely doable. Multitasking at its finest!

No comments: