Friday, May 04, 2012

Dreamy Chocolate Squares

These are Dreamy Chocolate Squares, probably one of the richest, most chocolatey, and most delicious squares I have ever tasted. They really live up to their name! I found the recipe handwritten on an index card in my mother's recipe box a little over a year ago. My mom told me she used to make the squares quite a bit, and that the recipe had come from my great aunt. I couldn't remember these squares, and my mother said she didn't know why she ever stopped making them. So I made them for myself for the first time about a year ago. They were soooo good! "Why did you ever stop making these?" I asked my mom. She isn't sure why, but it's probably the same reason this is the first time I have made them since then. These squares are very rich, decadent, special, and probably quite bad for you. They are also somewhat expensive to make, considering they require 3 cups of brown sugar, 3 cups of icing sugar, almost 2 cups of butter, and four eggs. But that is what makes them soooo delicious. It is difficult to describe these squares in words, a piece of heaven, death by chocolate, and scrumdilliumptious all work well, as does a simple mmmmmmmmm! 
My photography skills certainly don't give these squares the justice they deserve!
Unfortunately, I cannot share this family secret recipe with you. However, I will describe these squares. They start with basically a brown sugar, rich buttery shortbread base, that doesn't even require a pre-baking. They are topped with a cakey, brownie, fudgey chocolate layer and are baked.  Once cooled, they are frosted with a thick layer of chocolate butter icing that contains just a hint of coffee for a flavor boost. They are quite simple to make, and they certainly don't stick around for long!

No comments: