Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Crispy Fruit Pizza

This is a dessert I made a long time ago, but I decided to share it today because it reminds me of summer and today is May 1st. I am really looking forward to some warmer weather, and the season for fresh, juicy fruit! This dessert is just as it is named: a crispy fruit pizza. The crust is basically the same mixture you would make for crisp rice cereal squares, but it is pressed into a round pizza pan instead of a square or rectangular pan. Once chilled, it is spread with a chocolate mixture. I believe the cookbook where I  found this recipe idea called for a mixture of chocolate, cream cheese,butter, and icing sugar, or something similar to that, but I simply spread the crust with chocolate pudding, because that is what I had on hand. Same consistency and same chocolatey flavor, yet slightly less work and a taste preferred by my family. The rest is the fun part - decorating the pizza! I cut up bananas and fresh strawberries, but any fruit imaginable could be used in any combination. Fruits such as bananas, apples, and pears should be brushed with either a little lemon juice or a mixture of jam thinned with a little water to prevent them from becoming brown. Jam will add a pleasant, sweet, fruity taste instead of a sour lemon taste, and works equally as well as lemon juice. Just lay the fruit on the pizza in any pattern you want, and decorate the remainder of the pizza with whipped cream. Using whipped cream from a spray can or spooning it into a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip makes a more attractive appearance. This dessert is light, fresh, and delicious. I cannot wait for the summer days to come!

No comments: