Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hamburgers or Cupcakes?

Since tomorrow is April Fools' Day, I thought I would share with you the treat I made for the occasion last year. Of course, I have something planned for this year too, but I will share that tomorrow. Last year I made cupcakes disguised to look like hamburgers. They weren't completely realistic looking (no one actually bit into one thinking they were eating dinner), but they did look a bit like hamburgers nonetheless. You could also make one cake to look like a giant hamburger, which works very well too. You can find many pictures like this over the internet if you search. For my hamburger cupcakes, I started with a basic vanilla cupcake recipe (plain muffins work too), and sprinkled the tops with a few rolled oats for sesame seeds before baking (if you have actual sesame seeds, even better). I cut the cupcakes in half once cool. Meanwhile, I lined muffin cups with paper liners, and spread some melted semi-sweet chocolate chips into the bottom of each cup, to make a thin patty. I spread some yellow icing on the bottom half of each cupcake for cheese, topped with a patty, topped with some piped green icing for lettuce, and then put on the top of the cupcake. Simple and cute. 

No comments: