Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chicken and Broccoli Pie

To celebrate Pi Day yesterday, we had pie for dinner. Chicken and Broccoli pie actually. It was quick, easy, and tasty. It is similar in texture to a quiche, but less eggy. The pie is composed of broccoli florets, chopped onion, chopped cooked chicken, milk, eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and grated cheese. That's it - pretty simple! Of course this is just a basic recipe, and the ingredients could be varied in many ways. 
I found the recipe idea online, but I changed it around quite a bit. 
Here is what I did:
I mixed chopped onion, broccoli florets, grated mozzarella cheese, and chopped cooked chicken in the bottom of a round casserole dish. Then I poured a biscuit mixture composed of flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, and milk over this mixture. I covered and baked it at 350F for about 40 minutes, sprinkled with some more cheese and baked uncovered for another 5 minutes. This is quite a forgiving dish, as the original recipe called for baking it in a glass pie plate at 400F, and contained frozen broccoli and premade biscuit mix. I didn't have any dishes that were ovenproof up to that high of a temperature, so I just baked it at a lower temperature for a longer time. I used fresh broccoli, and made my own biscuit mix. I also used mozzarella cheese instead of the recommended cheddar. All of this worked out really well. I also did the bulk of the work in advance - I mixed the broccoli, onion, and cheese in the bottom of the casserole dish, and whipped up the mixture to pour over top, and placed both in the fridge. Since I didn't have any precooked chicken, I put some breasts in the oven, cut them up, and added them to the bottom of the casserole dish when they were cooked. I poured the biscuit mix over and baked. This dish can be whipped up quickly, or made ahead in advance. Leftovers of this dish also keep well.

No comments: