Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nerd Cupcakes

Here are some cupcakes I made for two friends of mine who share the same birthday. They are both nerds, and wouldn't be insulted if I said that, and they both wear similarly-styled, large, black-rimmed glasses. Therefore, these cupcakes are decorated with orange and blue Nerds candies, and glasses. To make the glasses, I first printed off the outlines of many of these glasses on a piece of paper. I placed a piece of waxed paper over this. Then I simply melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips, put them in a plastic bag, and piped the outlines of the glasses through the waxed paper. This could be done free-hand as well, as it isn't a very difficult shape to do. Some turned out better than others, but the form is really a sideways eight, an infinity sign, or two circles. I put these in the refrigerator briefly to harden, then peeled them off the paper. 

The cupcakes are a confetti mix, which my friend baked. The frosting is a new recipe I tried. I stepped away from my classic buttercream and tried a marshmallow frosting. This recipe I will share tomorrow. I piped it on the cupcakes using my large open star tip, which is really easy and makes one simple, pretty swirl. Then I sprinkled the candies over top, which tended to roll everywhere, except stick to the frosting! I stuck a pair of glasses in each. I really like how the fancy cupcake wrappers match the colors of the candies. 

No comments: