Saturday, November 23, 2013

More Nerdy Cupcakes

Along with the nerd cupcakes I made the other day, I had to decorate a few special ones for particular reasons. So instead of the swirl design with nerd candies and chocolate glasses, I made three of a different design. I just tinted some of the marshmallow frosting light blue and piped it.
The middle cupcake is pretty self-explanatory. I mean, MATH RULES, doesn't it? (For those of you who don't believe me, I'll send up my twelve page paper outlining a great deal of the mathematics involved in cooking and baking.)

The two outer cupcakes are physics cupcakes. 
Physics = applied mathematics ∴ PHYSICS ALSO RULES. 
Anyway, the cupcake on the right is meant to mimic the Doppler effect, which is basically the change in frequency of a wave as the observer and the source are in motion relative to each other. Simple examples of this include sirens and train whistles, which are examples of sound waves. The cupcake is a pretty simplified version of the model for this effect, but it works. Maybe some of you thought it was a target or a spiderweb, which I suppose would also be an accurate depiction.
The cupcake on the left is just an example of a sound wave or frequency wave, probably a beat frequency or such. It also mimics the pattern we see on heart beat charts and recording programs. So these two cupcakes focus on the topic of sound and waves and frequencies. Neither of them are elaborate, since I just used the same materials I was using to make the nerd cupcakes, as they were the star of the show. 

No comments: