Friday, November 22, 2013

Marshmallow Frosting

I decided to try this marshmallow frosting as something different from the typical buttercream frosting I use, and also because I thought it might be quicker and easier. It didn't really save much time and effort, and I wasn't really impressed with it. Personally I could eat buttercream by the spoonful, and I'm not a huge marshmallow fan, but there isn't anything wrong with how the frosting tastes. The consistency isn't great though. It is certainly sticky just like marshmallows, and is either too thin and drippy, or too thick. The frosting must be worked with quickly, as it hardens fast. Therefore, the thinned out frosting is great for a shiny appearance for cookies and such, and the thicker version is stiff so stands up great to piping. However, I definitely would not recommend using this frosting to spread and try to frost an entire cake. I also think a cake frosted entirely with this frosting would be a bit sickly sweet as well.

Marshmallow Frosting
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or hard margarine, cut into pieces
6 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large bowl melt the marshmallows and butter on HIGH (100%) power for about 20 seconds. Stir until smooth. Heat for longer if necessary. Gradually beat in the sugar. Beat in the water and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add a little extra sugar or water as necessary for desired consistency. This will make a fairly thick frosting, great for piping. For a smooth, spreadable frosting add a little extra water.

No comments: