Saturday, November 03, 2012

Date Squares

Yesterday I made a pan of date squares for the first time. I have actually only eaten date squares a few times as well, but I knew from those few tastes that I really liked them. I have been meaning to make date squares for a while now, but only got around to it now. I am certainly glad I did, as they were very tasty, and others agreed. I love dates to begin with, and the rich, sticky date filling really appealed to me. I also really like the crust, with is an oat crust, with plenty of butter and brown sugar that makes it delicious. The combination of the crust and filling is really good. There are quite a few recipes for date squares around, but all of them are pretty similar, so just choose the one that sounds the best/easiest/uses ingredients you have on hand, and you probably can't go wrong! These squares smell very good while baking. They also cut very well. I can definitely see why they are popular at parties and gatherings. The only problem is they disappear too fast. Since I only needed half a package of dates to make this recipe, I will probably be making another batch soon! Maybe I will try making a double sized pan sometime.

No comments: