Friday, November 02, 2012

Halloween Sugar Cookies

I was whipping up a batch of sugar cookies the other day, and I thought I would cut them into Halloween shapes since it was the day before Halloween. I chose this sugar cookies recipe because I had some leftover egg yolks in the fridge. This is why they are called rich sugar cookies and they look a little more yellow in color. Other than that, they are just like a standard sugar cookie recipe. I didn't bother decorating them in any way, though I could have used icing, melted chocolate, sprinkles, or candies. I cut the cookies into five different shapes: pumpkins, skulls, bats, cats, and witches.
Rich Sugar Cookies
2 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 large whole egg
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt together. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers. 
In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix it up until  a dough forms (use your hands). Divide the dough in two, flatten each half into a disc, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
Remove dough from the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before rolling.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll each dough half out to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.

No comments: