Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Roasted Fall Squash

The other night we roasted our first squash of the season. In past years, I went on a mission to try every different type of squash I could find. I tried acorn, spaghetti, butternut, buttercup, and pumpkin. I liked them all for different reasons. I bought all of these squashes at the local farmer's market. Squash is a good winter food, as they can keep for a few months in a cool, dark place. There are such things as summer squash as well, such as zucchini, but I usually don't think of those as squash. I have only really tried two methods of preparation for squash: roasting it in the oven and microwaving it. Both work well, but you need to make sure it is roasted for a long enough time to become tender. Usually I eat squash either plain, or with brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and/or cinnamon. Squash is one of those foods that can be prepared with sweeter ingredients  just like sweet potatoes. You can even make candied squash. Squash is fairly easy to prepare and serve, as it does not require much preparation work. It also goes well with many meals, we ate ours with a roast chicken dinner. It can be added to many different dishes as well, including soups, casseroles, pastas, pizzas, breads, and muffins. This is a picture of a small piece of squash we recently enjoyed sprinkled with brown sugar. Doesn't look like much, but it sure was tasty!

No comments: