Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Breakfast Rolls

I am always looking for new whole wheat buns/rolls/biscuits to make for breakfast, and lately I have been looking for more basic recipes so I hope that they rise well! Of course most biscuits are quick breads and do not require yeast, so they always seem to rise well. I wanted to try another yeast recipe though. I found this one for whole wheat rolls in my favorite "Breads" book by Company's Coming, and of course I varied the recipe slightly to suit my personal tastes. The recipe seemed easy enough, and even made use of an electric mixer to cut down on the kneading time. Again, I took extra care to ensure they would rise.I am happy to report that these rolls rose quite well, and turned out moist, hearty, and delicious!

Here is how I made them:
Whole Wheat Breakfast Rolls
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 teaspoons granulated (white) sugar
2 package (8 grams) instant yeast
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons soft butter or hard margarine
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup natural wheat bran
1/2 cup ground flax seed
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (approximately)
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the water. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let stand undisturbed for ten minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
Beat in remaining ingredients, but only 3/4 cup of the flour. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.
Gradually add some remaining flour, beating after each addition until incorporated. Once a dough forms, work in remaining flour and knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes.
Allow to rise for 1 1/4 hours, until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down and shape into rolls. I got somewhere close to 30, but it depends on how big you want them to be. Egg-sized pieces are a good start. Place rolls on greased or lined baking sheets and allow to rise for 45 minutes until doubled in bulk.
Preheat oven to 400F. Bake rolls (one batch at a time) for about 10-15 minutes,, depending on size.

Paré, Jean. "Whole Wheat Rolls." Recipe. Breads, Edmonton Alberta: Company's Coming Publishing Limited, 1996. 57.

No comments: