Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Spooky Shepherd's Pie


For supper last night I had to make something appropriate to the occasion. So I whipped up this Spooky Shepherd's Pie with mashed potatoes in the form of ghosts. I got the idea online, but I didn't follow their recipe, I made pretty much our usual Shepherd's Pie. I didn't go through the extra step of baking the pie in the oven either, it works just as well simply in a skillet on the stovetop. I cooked up my meat and vegetables and mixed them all  with cream of mushroom soup. Then I mashed and seasoned some potatoes, and piped them on top to resemble ghosts. The original recipe had called for the use of instant mashed potato flakes (but if you remember my thirteenth post, then you know I certainly wasn't going to use them). I am wondering if boxed potatoes are easier to pipe then real potatoes? I just used a simple zip-top bag with a large hole cut out of one corner, but I did have a bit of trouble piping them. They just don't have the same consistency of buttercream icing (not to mention being piping hot). Oh well, they turned out looking okay. I gave them peas for eyes, and piped the rest of the potatoes around the edge of the pan. A delicious and frightful meal!

No comments: