Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Shortbread Cookies

Here is another addition to the growing stock of Christmas cookies in the freezer: Shortbread Cookies. Shortbread cookies are one of my very favorite types of cookies, if they are done right. I love how they are so rich and buttery and melt-in-your-mouth. However, some shortbread recipes can turn out dry and bland. I have never tried to make the traditional Scottish shortbread that is pricked all over and baked in a fluted tart pan, but I have tasted it, and it is good! I have also made brown sugar shortbread, which has a subtle caramel flavor and is also delicious.
This shortbread recipe came from my great grandmother, and is a family secret, so unfortunately I cannot share it. I like to make these shortbread cookies fairly thick, and cut them into Christmas shapes such as bells, stars, and trees. A small dash of sprinkles is all these cookies need, a sweet icing would overpower their delicate flavor too much. They are always a popular choice among our Christmas guests.

No comments: