Saturday, June 17, 2017

Tea Biscuits

My grandmother's tea biscuits, take number two of the season.

This time I reverted back to my grandmother's recipes and chose the one I thought might be 'the most accurate'. Of course they STILL didn't turn out like hers but they are probably my best attempt yet. They are certainly close - light and high and yummy. My grandmother even approved of them though she said they weren't quite there yet. Hopefully I will figure it out one day!
Almost Nonna's Tea Biscuits
1 large egg, beat into a measuring cup
milk, add to make one cup liquid (I used skim because that's all I had on hand)
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
scant 1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (I used salted)

Preheat oven to 425F. Line a double layer of baking sheets (to prevent bottoms from browning too quickly) with parchment paper.
Stir together all the dry ingredients and cut in the butter until pea-sized. Stir in the egg and milk mixture. Knead until smooth, Roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a round cutter, Place 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.

No comments: