Thursday, November 19, 2015

Greek 'Orzo' Salad

This is one of those dishes I came up with as a way of using up leftovers. I had a lot of leftover filling from my stuffed grape leaves, dolmathakia me rizi, when I made them, so I used it to make a Greek salad, similar to Greek orzo salad, except this uses rice instead. I included the filling recipe so this salad can be made from scratch, as it is quite tasty!

Greek 'Orzo' Salad
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup short-grain rice
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon chopped dill
1 teaspoon chopped mint
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt and pepper

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the onions in the oil until translucent. Add the rice to coat, then the stock. Cook until rice is barely tender, it should still be fairly firm since it will be cooked further. Add remaining ingredients. Cool.

Then add:
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon mustard
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
This salad gets better with age, and keeps in the fridge for several days.

No comments: