Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Strolling The Wetlands Paths

Another day off today, another day to relax, catch up on things, and take a walk to explore the area. After a nice staff meal of steamed mixed vegetables, roasted baby potatoes, roast chicken in gravy, and penne casserole, I set off to walk the Integrated Constructed Wetlands paths. This was somewhere I hadn’t explored before, and a really beautiful marshy, forest, river, grass, walking path area all in one. It was fun to explore.
The wetlands

Since I don’t have much to say about food and work today, I will talk a bit about my exercise regime here (or lack of it) since that is somewhat related, and definitely related to the industry I am currently working in. Back home, I took up running when I began culinary (I didn’t start them both at the same time on purpose, that is just coincidental). I enjoyed running, especially outside, and tried to get out for a run everyday – some days would be much shorter than others, but I still got out unless I really didn’t feel like it. Running gave me some time to myself every day, some time to think, to relax, to exercise, and to stay healthy. There were a few periods of time where I didn’t run (dead of winter, during an injury), but for the most part I stuck to it, because I liked it and I wanted to.


Since I have arrived here, almost a month ago, I have not run. Not once. I brought my running shoes. The weather has been perfect running weather – not too hot and often overcast. There are plenty of paths and places in this small village where I could run. Yet I have not. Why? There are several reasons. One being I simply don’t want to. Don’t feel like it. Now, I am not saying that is a good excuse to not exercise, but in my case, it is fine, because I am not shunning exercise completely due to laziness. Another big reason is I simply don’t have time. Ok, I do theoretically have time, but I choose to use that time for other purposes. I refuse to get up extra early to run, as I value my sleep too much. I am not running in the dark after work. I tend to be at work close to twelve hours for most of my shifts, and the remainder of my time during the day is used to blog, contact family, do some gentle yoga/stretches and do chores. At the end of a twelve hour day on my feet, I really don’t think I need to run. Even on my days off, I use them as rest days. So instead of running, I use my days off to gently stroll my area. This puts less pressure on me, and allows me to relax and truly appreciate the area around me (and bring along a camera). Running can be hard on the body, and I think I am benefiting from a rest from running for awhile. I don’t need to run while I am here, I will stay healthy and distress in other, less taxing ways.
Path through the forest - perfect for strolling or running


So will I run while I am here? I won’t rule it out completely – I may take an occasional jog, but I have no plans to run regularly anytime soon. While I am here, I am going to focus on enjoying myself while learning as much as I can. And not worry about counteracting all my eating with more running because I don’t need to.

At the end of the day, staff supper tonight was chicken legs, pork sausage, baked potatoes with and without salsa, and creamy coleslaw.

No comments: