Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Getting Used To The Restaurant

Today I worked in the restaurant again. It was quite similar to yesterday, except I did a few different things during prep and held a few different responsibilities during service. I got in at 11:30a.m., and began with scaling out the bread dough recipes for the three types of rolls (onion, bacon, and tomato basil) and scooping sorbet (pear). Then I did some tasks such as grating cheese, chopping bacon, and crushing walnuts. I made the custard for the vanilla lime exotic crème brulée, and the garnish, which are pretty fruit flowers made out of pineapple, kiwi, and mango. I also made some more banana tarte tatins. Then I cut up several types of cheese for cheese platters.

After vegetable curry, rice, and fries as staff meal, it was time for service. I was in charge of the amuse-bouche appetizer again, which tonight was a miniature Ceasar-style salad with iceberg lettuce, bacon, crouton, and dressing aside a chicken mousse. I was assigned to one of the starters – the crab one which consists of a batter-coated deep-fried zucchini blossom stuffed with crab atop basil foam, with a red pepper jelly, a bruschetta quenelle, and crispy basil. I was also in charge of the vegetable and potato side dishes, though I did have help with those. The vegetables were the same as last night, but the potatoes were fondant potatoes. 
Fruit Flowers for crème bruléee garnish
I still am not completely comfortable in this kitchen and with the process of how things go, how orders come in, and how fast they are sent out. On top of this, communication is an issue. The head chef is good to yell out the orders, and we are good to do callbacks, and he is good to give us times on the mains, the problem is I find he mumbles and has a thick accent and speaks too low in a noisy kitchen, and I often don’t make out what he said. The others are used to it and can understand him, I cannot. So sometimes others would have to repeat to me, “two apps” or something like that, which I really appreciated, though I should not have to be told twice. 

Again, this chef said I was very quiet, and I didn’t have to hide in the corner (the app station is in the corner of the kitchen). It’s true, I don’t speak with him much, as I don’t work with him that often and I find him tricky to understand. And usually I don’t wander around the kitchen telling stories, I focus on my work, especially in new settings when I am nervous. But apparently I am the first cook this place has had that didn’t talk, haha.

No comments: