Monday, November 03, 2014

Pizzelle

Pizelle are Italian waffle cookies. They are made with a special type of waffle iron called a pizzelle maker. Pizzelle makers differ from waffle irons simply by pattern, as pizzelle cookies usually have a pretty pattern and indentation pressed into them. The second major difference is pizzelle makers are much thinner than waffle irons, because pizzelle cookies are much thinner than waffles. The taste is also slightly different, because pizzelle are always thin and crispy and waffles can either be crispy or thick and fluffy.

Pizzelle are made with a simple batter - more like a waffle batter than a cookie batter, but slightly thinner. They usually get their rich flavor from the butter, sugar, eggs, and splash of vanilla, though they can be flavored differently, such as a small addition of unsweetened cocoa powder for chocolate pizzelle.

Some pizzelle makers are automatic, which means it'll let you know when they are cooked. Others, like the one I have, are not automatic, leaving a little more guesswork. I actually had a little trouble with my cookies this time - even though I oiled the maker, they were sticking a bit, or I was checking them to early before they were cooked, or they were a little over cooked. Also a major problem was they kept breaking when I tried to remove them. They still taste delicious, but they do not present as well. Actually I love the little pieces. Pizzelle are very delicate, so if they are not transported properly, they will break as well. One more tricky thing about pizzelle is finding the perfect amount of batter to put in the pizzelle maker to make one cookie. Too little, and you won't get a full cookie, too much and the batter will ooze out of the maker.

I learned how to make pizzelle from my grandmother, who always had them around when I cam to visit, so I grew up enjoying them. They are good plain, or with a little dusting of icing sugar, but they also make nice garnishes for ice cream, cake, and mousses - just like waffle cookies!

No comments: