Monday, November 10, 2014

Poached Egg On Toast

Poaching is my new favorite way to enjoy eggs. I like the soft texture the white keeps, encasing a delicate, gooey, slightly liquidy golden yolk. I don't think poached eggs need much to go with them, and they are a quick yet elegant easy protein source. A sprinkle of paprika often works well though. Here I have served a poached egg on a crisp piece of baguette, allowing the consumer to soak up every last bit of that egg. I used some crisp broccoli strips to garnish the plate and create sort of a star appearance, but celery, carrot, or pepper strips would work as well.

I cheat when poaching my eggs, and always poach them in the microwave. It is definitely quicker and just as tasty, the only downside is only one to three eggs can be cooked at one time. All you need is approximately one tablespoon of water per egg. Break the egg into the water and gently stab the yolk a few times, then microwave on HIGH (100% power) for one minute. The 'setness' of the egg and yolk will vary slightly depending on how much water is used and how long the egg is cooked, so vary this according to your personal tastes. 

No comments: