Monday, September 01, 2014

Green, Black & Gold Quinoa Sauté

Here I have begun a new chapter in my life. This is the first dish (aside from sandwiches and a few simple breakfasts) that I have cooked in my new apartment now that all of my cookware is unpacked and washed. This is a typical dish I would enjoy - I simply took stock of the fresh vegetables I had in the refrigerator, and used quinoa because it had the closest expiry date. Quick, healthy, no-fuss, and tasty. How's that for inspiration? More details and more dishes from this new chapter are sure to be featured soon. 

But as I begin a new chapter, I was also wondering if I should give my blog a new look? Some readers have commented that green text on a purple background is incredibly difficult to read. Though I like these colors best, I would also like my viewers to be able to read my posts. I know this does not show up well on mobile devices, but I think I have solved that problem. So what are your thoughts? Should I change the posts to a white background? Are they hard to read? Does my blog need a new look? Be sure to weigh in with your opinion!!!
Black, Gold, and Green Quinoa
1 cup water
salt
3/4 cup black and gold quinoa mix
1/3 cup chopped broccoli florets
1 teaspoon oil
1 small white onion, sliced into rings
1 clove garlic, minced
4 large cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
ground black pepper

In a small pot, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the salt, quinoa, and broccoli. Turn heat to low and simmer for about fifteen minutes, until all water is absorbed.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté for 10-12 minutes until golden and soft. 

Divide the quinoa mixture evenly among two plates. Place half of the vegetable mixture on top of each. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and add a good grinding of fresh black pepper over top. 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love the clock. Love you. Mom