Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blueberry Cake with Coconut Pecan Streusel Topping

I apologize for the delay with this post, as this is one of my award-winning recipes from the exhibition baking competition I entered in August. This is a new blueberry recipe that appeared in the newspaper, literally the day I was looking for a new blueberry recipe. I love blueberries, they are so fresh, local, and versatile. It was blueberry season, and I was looking for an alternative to the usual blueberry recipes we use - blueberry yogurt cake, blueberry muffins, blueberry coffee cake, and blueberry squares (type any of these terms into this blog's search bar to see them). 

So I saw this recipe, which was different and really appealed to me. It begins with a moist, fluffy, white cake base. Then a thick layer of fresh blueberries. Then a layer of coconut and pecan cinnamon streusel. The streusel provides a great textural contrast, with a buttery flavor and hint of brown sugar and cinnamon. All together, the three layers make a delicious snacking, breakfast, or dessert cake that is delicious straight from the oven, cold, room temperature, or reheated. It makes a fairly good-sized cake that freezes well. Although the recipe has three layers, it is relatively quick and easy to put together, and have in the oven while eating your meal if you plan on serving it for dessert. It doesn't require anything, but a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a small dollop of whipped cream would add a little something extra. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great recipe, I'm going to make this again soon. Very tasty and it did freeze really well. Yum!
Regina