Sunday, September 28, 2014

Care Package

After being away from home for a few weeks now, I was delighted to hear that a family friend from back home was heading this way, and as willing to deliver me a care package from my parents. Although I am certainly enjoying a lot of great food here, there isn't anything quite like your mother's own home baking - the comforting treats you grew up with! This can sometimes be a challenge to send, depending on how far away you are, and what means of sending the package are available to you. Care packages must include treats suitable for travelling - think cookies and breads, not cakes or anything with perishable ingredients (no turkey dinners). Luckily, in this case, we had same day personal delivery, so my treats stayed fresh and undamaged. My mother sent me a batch of soft date cookies, as well as a slab of her infamous double chocolate zucchini loaf, which she always makes near the end of summer when zucchinis are ripe, but which I did not get a chance to have before I left. It is moist and delicious and makes a good snack, dessert, or possibly a breakfast for me! My mother also sent me some new recipes she clipped out of our local newspaper. Thanks again Mom! :) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca, I got some of the date cookies as well to sustain me during the two days of the Windfall craft show here! Delicious treat, enjoy.
Regina

Anonymous said...

Glad everyone enjoyed the date cookies.

Dianne