Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cheesy Potato Shred

My mother wanted to make a different potato dish than usual to go with our supper the other night. So she looked through my potato book, but didn't find anything that stood out to her. Then she searched some recipe online, and from looking at those, came up with her own version of a potato dish. I guess this kind of thin runs in the family! When I asked her what she called it, she just said "Shredded Potatoes", so I jazzed up the name a bit. I am sure we will enjoy this dish again!
There is no really specific recipe for this, it is just shredded potatoes, chopped onion, grated mozzarella cheese, one egg, olive oil, and some ground black pepper. Amounts depend on how much you want, and how cheesy you want it. My mother mixed this all up and put it in a casserole dish, then baked it for almost an hour. I was surprised that the potatoes were completely tender without being parboiled, but I guess they cook fast because they are grated. A fairly shallow dish also helps. 
This is a good, hot dish. It has a different, but good texture, with a creamy center and a crisp top. It makes a good side dish for many different meals.

No comments: