Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bunny Cake From The Past

We seem to always have a cake for Easter. In the past, we usually always made our standard bunny cake. This is where two round cakes are baked. One is used for the bunny's head, the other is cut into three pieces and used for the ears and the bowtie. It is a popular design, and I am sure many of you have seen it before. My father usually made the bunny cake, and iced it, and we helped decorate it with candy and other icing. I particularly like the time we used shredded carrot pieces for the whiskers, as this looked quite neat, and is a bit ironic since bunnies like carrots. This worked well, as we are not licorice fans. However, there is no good picture of this cake, because back in the day, we actually used to focus our pictures on people, and not food.
I can remember a funny story from one Easter. I was quite young, and had only just begun taking French classes at school. My parents used to talk to each other in (limited) French when they did not want me to know what they were saying. But they made a mistake this time, because I was able to pick up two key words, and that was all I needed to hear. Basically, what I heard was, "Blah blah blah, something something...un gâteau de lapin?" Which I immediately reacted to by exclaiming, "Bunny cake!" My mother was asking my father if he was planning on making one that year, and after I caught on, of course the answer had to be yes.
I am not sure if this is the bunny cake from that same year or not, but this cake is from seven yeas ago. Now that we are older, I have taken over a lot of the cake baking and decorating, and i have strayed from just these simple bunny cakes to full-body bunny cakes, basket, cakes, chick cakes, and more. I will have another cake ready for Easter tomorrow!

No comments: